To decrease the need of restarting the BDII and following the discussion on tb-support I decided to upgrade to openldap2.4. Since I was at it I also updated both glite-BDII_site and glite-BDII_top (below the list of new rpms) to the latest repositories division since we still had the older common glite-BDII repo. The newest version of BDII has also new paths for most things. For example some config files have been moved to /etc/bdii and /var/run/bdii is the new SLAPD_VAR_DIR. The setting up of the repos are peculiar to Manchester where we mirror a latest version every day but the machines pick up from a stable repository that is updated when needed.
1) rsync glite-BDII_site and glite-BDII_top from Glite-3.2-latest to Glite-3.2 stable
2) Added the rpm to the local external repository from the BDII_top RPMS.external dir so it can be picked up also by BDII_site and if the case also CEs and SE.
3) Create new repo files and added them to cvs
4) Edited cf.yaim-repos to copy them
5) Installed manually (yum install) the rpms openldap2.4 openldap2.4-servers and their dependencies lib64ldap2.4 openldap2.4-extraschemas on BDII_site. In the glite-BDII_top case they are called in as dependencies so there is no need for this.
# This step can be added in cfengine at a later stage if needed.
6) mv /opt/bdii/etc/bdii.conf.rpmnew /opt/bdii/etc/bdii.conf
# Contains the pointer to the new bdii-slapd.conf which contains the new paths. bdii/slapd won't restart with the old bdii.conf.
7) Add SLAPD=/usr/sbin/slapd2.4 to the new /opt/bdii/etc/bdii.conf
# This can go in yaim post function if one really wants.
8) Rerun YAIM
9) Reduced the rate the cron job checks the bdii from 5 to 20 mins. Top bdii seemed to take longer to rebuild probably due to an expired cache causing a loop.
Crossing fingers it will work and stop the BDII periodically hanging.
New Site BDII RPMS
New Top BDII RPMS